Tuesday, April 5, 2016

"Salt to the Sea" by Ruta Sepetys is Very Good!

Salt to the Sea by Ruta Sepetys is about a group of refugees during World War II and is based on an actual event that we don't hear much about--the sinking of the Wilhelm Gustloff.  The majority of the book is the refugees trying to get to the ship in order to get out of the country.  It is told from four different points of view, each person being from a different country.  The little group the book focuses on that travels together is Joana (a nurse), Emelia (young pregnant girl), Florian (a forger), a little orphan boy, an old shoemaker, and Eva, a very big woman.  

I enjoyed seeing the relationships develop among the refugees and I liked the ending too.  My favorite character was Florian.  There were some very sad things happen in this book, but I didn't really identify closely enough to the characters to actually cry.  It was interesting to read about an event I knew nothing about.  The ending seemed very abrupt though and I was a bit confused.  
(Karen's review, 4 stars)

Salt to the Sea by Ruta Sepetys takes place at the end of World War II.  Four young teens who are literally fighting for their lives converse.  I cannot say enough good things about this book!  As you read this, be aware that it is based on an actual event!  I was totally invested in the lives of the four teens.  What a great book to finish the month of March with!
(Gerard's review 3/30/16, 5+ stars)

Here is a video of an interview with Ruta Sepetys that convinced me to read this book:

Have you read this one? What did you think of it? If you reviewed this too, feel free to share your link to your review in the comments. To find books on a specific topic, scroll to the bottom and click on the topic you want. Happy Reading!

5 comments:

  1. Hi guys, you may not have noticed yet but I've selected your blog as April's blog of the month - so you are featured in my sidebar over at Carole's Chatter. Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  2. I seemed to have had your blogs drop out of my feed for some reason so I am trying to get them back in so I don't miss your great posts! I have not read this book but love reading what you have to say about it! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you are back again! I don't know what happens with that. Maybe you should try subscribing by email--that seems to work very well. You have to see our review of WHAT WAS MINE--great story we both liked.

      Delete
    2. Got you in my feed again so all is good. I get so many emails I try to just subscribe through Blog Lovin to the ones I want to read regulaly. Still doing Comments for a Cause , btw!!!!

      Delete

Related Posts with Thumbnails