Friday, August 30, 2013

"Melody" by V. C. Andrews is an Oldie but a Goodie!

Melody by V. C. Andrews is very good and I am glad I read it. It is one my husband had before we were married 16 years ago and I finally got around to reading it. I am so glad I did! Melody is a 15-yr.-old girl who is part of a family with many secrets. She is a nice girl and good student, but grew up in a coal mining town and is shocked to find out family secrets after her dad dies in a mining accident and her mother drops Melody at the dad's brothers house while she goes off to try to become a model or actress. Melody moves in with her dad's relatives, which she never met, Aunt Sara, Uncle Jacob and her cousins, Cary and May, a little deaf girl.

This is such a good story with all the secrets gradually coming to light and Melody realizing that her parents never told her the truth about who she is. Melody is very pretty and she learned to play the fiddle. I did not care for her mother at all and wondered how Melody turned out so well. There lots of interesting relationships and characters in this book. I loved how Cary came around to liking Melody and how he became protective of her. This is the first book of a series and I am eager to read the next two soon! If you like family stories with interesting characters, I highly recommend this one! There are lots of surprises along the way! It would make a good book club read.
(Karen's review, 5 stars)

Next in Series:  Heart Song

Have you read this one? What did you think of it? If you reviewed this too, feel free to share your link to your review in the comments. Happy Reading!

5 comments:

  1. I haven't read it, but I did read the Flowers in the Attic series, back in the day. Sounds like a good book.

    I did pick up a book recently, because Kendall wants to read it. It's called The Fault in Our Stars (John Green), and I read it in one day. I recommend it, if you haven't already read it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read THE FAULT IN OUR STARS and loved it. It's a beautiful love story. Here's the link to myreview: http://ourstack.blogspot.com/2012/02/fault-in-our-stars-by-john-green_29.html

      Delete
  2. Hi Karen & Gerard, just letting you know that you are in my Featured Book Blog sidebar for September on Carole's Chatter. Have a great week. Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I read this one years ago. Sounds very familiar.... but I read so many in my teens.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails