Friday, February 2, 2018

"The Girl in the Tower" by Katherine Arden (Updated)

The Girl in the Tower by Katherine Arden is the follow up to The Bear and the Nighingale. Vasya is on her own now.  She craves adventure but everything changes after she takes down some bandits!  She disguises herself as a boy and is treated like a hero.  The Grand Prince likes her, but before she can move on, Moscow is in trouble.  Can Vasya come to the rescue?

Teaser from page 45:  Had he stumbled onto a wood-sprite, he could not have been more astonished.  The rider was staring at him, openmouthed.

This book is even better than the first one!  There is tons of action and the writing is so good.  I really enjoyed how Solovey, her horse, had a big role in this book!  The ending was amazing and I couldn't put it down!  Now I have to wait until August for Book 3. I reviewed both the first book and this one in this video because I loved them so much!

(Gerard's review 1-19-18, 5++ stars)

Karen's review 1-19-18:
The Girl in the Tower by Katherine Arden is the sequel to The Bear and the Nightingale. Vasya and her horse, Solovey, have quite the adventure and is reunited with Sasha, her brother who became a monk, and her older sister, Olya. The Frost King, Morozko, continues to help Vasya.

I liked this book better than the first because the horse was in it a lot and I really liked the horse! It seemed to move along faster and there were not a lot of new names to learn. I felt sorry for Vasya because it seemed like everyone was against her in spite of her doing great things. I liked how she connected with her niece and rescued the three girls who were kidnapped from their village. It was cool how she battled with the men and won another horse by winning a horse race. I thought she was stupid though for agreeing to another horse race against Kasyan, but of course, that led to a whole other chain of events to make the book interesting. I think that was the only time where I thought she acted out of character by allowing herself to be distracted. (4 stars)


Have you read this one? What did you think of it? If you reviewed this too, feel free to share your link to your review in the comments. To find books on a specific topic, scroll to the bottom and click on the topic you want. Happy Reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails