Tuesday, March 27, 2018

"Have Dog, Will Travel--A Poet's Journey" by Stephen Kuusisto

Have Dog , Will Travel by Stephen Kuusisto is his true story about being born legally blind but trying to pass as sighted.  He rode a bike, went to public school and even read.  He became a professor, but when he got laid off at a young age, he had to do something.  That is how he came upon getting a guide dog and a whole new way of living!

I thought this book was pretty good.  I learned a lot about guide dog training and how people react to seeing someone with a guide dog.  It is a very short book, only 232 pages.  I loved Corky, his guide dog!

Teaser from page 43:  I wasn't sure what I thought about walking around with a "pretend" guide dog.  Somehow it seemed embarrassing, oddly performative, but my comfort wasn't as important as my safety, and ultimately getting the right dog.
 
(Gerard's review, 4 stars)  

Have you read this one? What did you think of it? If you reviewed this too, feel free to share your link to your review in the comments. To find books on a specific topic, scroll to the bottom and click on the topic you want. Happy Reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails