Thursday, May 2, 2019

"Beautiful Bad" by Annie Ward

Beautiful Bad by Annie Ward is a slow developing dark, twisted thriller about Maddie, mother of a little boy named Charlie and wife of Ian, a military guy who has PTSD. Maddie met Ian at a fund-raiser for the Red Cross that her friend, Joanna invited her to. Joanna worked with women and children in refugee camps around Macedonia. The book begins 12 weeks before the day of the killing and goes back and forth between the present and the past to give the reader background information. Also, when Maddie sees psychologist who uses writing therapy, Maddie’s past events are also revealed.

This is a book of lies, deception and manipulation! Charlie is a sweet little boy and the only reason I kept reading this book. The flashbacks to the past I found very boring. So boring, in fact, that halfway through the book I skipped over them and just focused on the present chapters! I would get into a present chapters and then find myself being disappointed when the next chapter jumped back to the past. I found it very annoying. Of Maddie, Joanna and Ian, I disliked Ian the least from the start. The only characters I really liked were Charlie and a cop named Diane. I did not care for this one at all, but at least did not give up on it; although, I did put it aside three times to read something better. To be fair; however, this one has been compared to Girl on the Train and Woman in the Window, neither of which read because they didn’t appeal to me. (Karen’s review, 2 stars)

Teaser from page 17: It was messy, almost as if mopped, and Diane imagined someone crawling on hands and knees before managing to haul up on his or her feet for one more staggering go at life. She had an irrational urge to start running through the house calling out for the child, but she’d already broken one rule just be entering.


Have you read this one? What did you think of it? If you reviewed this too, feel free to share your link to your review in the comments. To find books on a specific topic, scroll to the bottom and click on the topic you want. Happy Reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails