Thursday, July 4, 2019

"Refugee 87" by Ele Fountain

Refugee 87 by Ele Fountain is about Shif's journey to flee his country.  His father was a professor who disappeared and was never heard from again after he said teachers should be paid more when asked how the government could improve the job for teachers.  Shif was then considered the son of a traitor who would be treated poorly if he went to military school for two years like was expected after his normal schooling.  When soldiers were taking kids in his neighborhood, his mother and his best friend's mother made arrangements for them to leave the country.  Unfortunately, the soldiers came for them before they could leave!

This is a quick-paced story of Shif's life as a refugee.  I liked Shif a lot because he was a nice and smart kid.  I liked that it moved along and wasn't dragged out.  This one reminded me of Salt to Sea which was very good.  If you liked that one, I'm pretty sure you would like this one as well!
(Karen's review, 4 stars)

Teaser from page 19:  I haven't done anything wrong, but everyone avoids the military.  I break into a run, skidding as I turn the corner to my street.  I can hear heavy boots crunching quickly down the road I just turned off.

Have you read this one? What did you think of it? If you reviewed this too, feel free to share your link to your review in the comments. To find books on a specific topic, scroll to the bottom and click on the topic you want. Happy Reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails