Monday, December 6, 2010

"Plain Truth" by Jodi Picoult Is Fascinating

Plain Truth by Jodi Picoult is about an Amish teen girl who is charged with murdering her illegitimate baby.  At first Katie denied even having a baby and consistently denied killing it.  Ellie reluctantly volunteered to be her defense attorney who becomes her friend while staying on the farm with Katie to comply with the court order as a condition while awaiting her trial.  Jodi Picoult shows the contrasts of the Amish and the English cultures in this intriguing novel of ethics, psychology, mystery, romance and judgment. 

I was drawn into this story immediately and had a hard time putting it down.  The story is told from Ellie’s perspective, and I couldn’t help feeling sorry for her when she was trying to get the truth from Katie as to what really happened. The trial was interesting and I definitely came away with a better understanding of the Amish community after reading Plain Truth.  I highly recommend this book, especially to women.
(Karen's review)

Other related reviews:  Debra's Book Cafe
Here is our teaser for this book
Have you read this one? What did you think of it?

4 comments:

  1. I read this one last year. Actually I think I listened to it on audio and thought it was a great book. I love Jodi Picoult books.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never read a book by Jodi Picoult, but this one sounds really interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey! Thanks for posting a link to me... That's very kind of you. . I am glad you enjoyed this book, it is one of my favourites. I am now starting to read House Rules by Jodi Picoult, which is amazing so far.... I love the way Jodi Picoult picks up on some pretty hard hitting emotional issues.... Best wishes Debs :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was the first Picoult book I read and it instantly put her to the top of my favorite author list. I would also recommend Keeping Faith and Perfect Match....

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails