Friday, October 10, 2014

"Five Days Left" by Julie Lawson Timmer is one We Both Liked! (UPDATED)

Five Days Left by Julie Lawson Timmer contains two story lines:  the first one is about a woman named Mara who is battling severe health problems; the second one is about Scott, a teacher, who takes in a younger brother of a star pupil of his.  When the boy's mom wants her son back, Scott has a hard time letting go.  Although the Scott story line is good, the Mara story line is gripping!  The endings of both are stunning.  It doesn't get much better than this!  I found this book very hard to put down, finishing it in just two days.  LOVED IT!
(Gerard's review, 5++ stars)

Karen's review 10/11/14, 5 stars:
I liked Five Days Left by Julie Lawson Timmer for the following reasons:
(1)  I learned about Huntington's disease, one I had never even heard of before;
(2)  Since I am a legal secretary, I could identify with the career aspect of Mara and her secretary;
(3)  The story line about Scott, a teacher, having temporary guardianship of Curtis was very interesting to me;
(4)  It brought out a lot of emotions for me:  sadness, anger, sympathy, empathy and
(5)  I wasn't sure how either story lines would end.

I felt very sad for Mara and her family and could easily understand why she planned to commit suicide.  I loved how Scott took in Curtis while his mom was in jail and was so upset at the thought of losing him.  It was kind of an interesting sideline how the author brought Mara and Scott together through an online forum that they both used for support.  This book shows how sometimes people need strangers who they can open up to as Mara did with her cab driver, Harry, a recovering alcoholic and with the online forum.

I was more interested in Scott's story line than Mara's because Mara's was just so sad.  In Scott's, I at least had hope!  I think this would make for a good book club read!  

Have you read this one? What did you think of it? If you reviewed this too, feel free to share your link to your review in the comments. Happy Reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails