Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Enjoyed "Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J. K. Rowling

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone by J. K. Rowling is a fun read! This is the first book of a long series that I finally decided to read because so many people liked it. This is about a boy named Harry Potter who is a wizard, but didn’t realize it. When both his parents died, he went to live with his aunt and uncle who were strictly ordinary humans. Harry gets accepted into Hogwarts when he is 10 years old, a private school for wizardry and witchcraft. This is why I put off reading this series for so long. but decided to read it for myself before condemning it. This is an enjoyable read dealing with bullying, adventure, friendship and courage with a surprise ending.

I still don’t think I would want my child reading it because it does glamorize the world of witchcraft. As a Christian, to be honest, I struggle with whether I should be reading this series. There is no doubt that it is entertaining and amusing. I actually laughed out loud at parts and like the funny names of the characters. When the professor became a cat at the beginning of the story, I was hooked! The school supply list cracked me up and I especially enjoyed the part when Harry was learning to fly on the broomstick. I thought the invisible cloak would be a cool thing to have and liked the idea of the owls as mail carriers! The sorting ceremony with the talking hat reminded me of the old cartoon, Tom Terrific, and the part in Divergent where the teens choose what faction they want. For me, the characters and all the amusing things is what kept me reading more so than the plot.
 (Karen's review, 5 stars)


Have you read this one? What did you think of it? If you reviewed this too, feel free to share your link to your review in the comments. To find books on a specific topic, scroll to the bottom and click on the topic you want. Happy Reading!

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you finally decided to read HP. It's a great series. As a Christian, I have no problem at all with the series -- I think it portrays the battle between good and evil (which is always symbolic of God vs. Satan) in a way that is interesting and uplifting. It also makes a point of promoting magic that is good and helpful, not dark and harmful. Plus, the HP books teach some great lessons about the importance of friendship, family, loyalty, courage, and standing up for what you believe in even when it's scary. Hope you enjoy the rest of the series!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails