Wednesday, May 6, 2015

"Red Rising" by Pierce Brown

Red Rising by Pierce Brown is a YA book about life on Mars but with a dystopian flavor.  The main character, Darrow, works in the mines and is a Red.  He is pretty happy with his life, has a wife and is close to his family.  His father was hung though and when he realizes the Reds are really slaves for the Golds, he becomes bitter.  His wife shows him a better place and sings a song that seals her death.  Darrow, is "chosen" to infiltrate the Golds by having surgery to make him appear more like them and make him stronger too so he can change things and free the Reds.

I read it because it's my husband said it's kind of a combination between The Hunger Games and Ender's Game which I loved.  The first half of the book seemed to drag along for me and the second half is all the test games for determining who will get positions of power among the Golds.  I felt the character development was shallow but liked the action part of this book.  To me this book seemed like a takeoff of The Hunger Games but it fell way short in my opinion.  I think guys would like this one more than women. This is the first of a series, but I won't be reading the rest of these.
(Karen's review 4/4/15, 3 stars)

Red Rising by Pierce Brown is a science fiction book that centers on a young man named Darrow on Mars.  He is a Red and works for the greater good.  His wife finds out that the Reds are really slaves to the Gold. When Darrow's wife is killed, he vows revenge on the Gold by becoming a Gold himself to bring them down.

Entertainment Weekly gave this book an A+ and they are spot on!  Think Enders Game and Hunger Games combined.  This is book one of three and I highly recommend it!

(Gerard's review posted 2/14/14, 5++ stars)

Have you read this one? What did you think of it? If you reviewed this too, feel free to share your link to your review in the comments. Happy Reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails