Wednesday, April 27, 2011

"The Maze Runner" by James Dashner Transports You To Another World! (UPDATED)

Karen was wowed by The Maze Runnter and wanted me to read it. It is about a bunch of young boys trapped in a maze. Why, they do not know. Thomas is the last boy to come in. I thought the action really picked up when Thomas figures out why they are in the maze and who put them there. I enjoyed it! It's a quick read with most of the real action in the last 70 pages or so. I wasn't "wowed" by it like Karen, but it is pretty good. Well worth you reading it!
(Gerard's review 4-26-11)

(Karen's review 4-1-11)
I just finished reading The Maze Runner by James Dashner and now can’t wait to read the next two books in this trilogy:  The Scorch Trials and The Death Cure.  I loved The Maze Runner!  Thomas, with memories of his life gone, is mysteriously transported to the Glade where only boys live.  The boys all have assigned jobs, the most prestigious of which is the maze runners who go out every day into the surrounding maze in search of a way out.  The boys have been there for two years and Thomas arrives with the ambition of being a maze runner and finding a way back.  Thomas is smart, kind, compassionate, courageous and likeable.  When a girl arrives just two days later, things start to change and the end is near! 

This teen science fiction novel is full of adventure, suspense, mystery but also interesting characters involving leadership, friendship and perseverance issues.  I liked the way the kids worked together to help each other.  It held my interest from the start.  It’s a far out story I found captivating and entertaining.  I would describe The Maze Runner as a cross between The Hunger Games (in that it takes place after a world catastrophe and kids are placed in a strange place and observed and manipulated by the creators) and Lord Of The Flies (in that the kids are on their own and have to run their own community).  If you like science fiction, adventure, mystery and stories about teens, I recommend this book!  It’s great!

Have you read this one? What did you think of it? You can help the people in Japan through Samaritan's Purse by leaving a comment on any of our blogs in April. We will donate 50 cents per comment at the end of the month.

4 comments:

  1. How could I pass up leaving a comment for Canine Lifeline? ;)

    This sounds like an interesting book. I'm not big on dystopian, but I enjoyed the Hunger Games... still I'm just starting to ease into the whole futuristic genre.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kate,
    Thanks for taking time to comment! I'm not big on dystopian either but after reading THE HUNGER GAMES series and loving it so much, I wanted to try some more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have kinda been into futuristic teen novels lately, for some reason. I'll have to check this one out! If you're starting to like this genre, I suggest Unwind by Neal Shusterman.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This book really is great but be forwarned, it does take a lot of reading to get into. Once you get past the odd langauge used by the maze runners, the book turns in to a fantastic story and read right through to the end and I cant wait for the next book! Good read teenage guys and girls alike!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails