Thursday, September 16, 2010

Why Do I Blog? Good Question! (Writer's Workshop/Back2Blogging Day 5)

I ask myself this question a lot lately because I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed by Linky deadlines and the feeling that I should visit all the other links but just don't have the time and if I did, why would I want to spend all day and evening on the computer?  I guess I'm just addicted to blogging now but do get pleasure out of posting things people find funny or interesting, but this SITS Back2Blogging Challenge has really put the pressure on and tuckered me out—talk about time-consuming! 

So, why do I blog? 
  • We learn a lot through blogging—tips, places, needs of others and new things like blogging pets! 
  • I enjoy writing over talking.
  • It’s fun to read about thoughts, views, lifestyles and experiences of others, including the cats and dogs.
  • Sharing with others is just something I like to do.
  • We have made some new friends through blogging through exchanging comments.
  • I find blogging challenging and I like a challenge.

What if we all stopped?  I know I would miss blogging now that I’ve been bitten by the blogging bug.  We would have so much more time though to do other things such as:  Watch TV, clean, get to know our neighbors, go places, read more books, visit people face-to-face, exercise, play more with my pets and talk more with my husband.  What would you do if you didn’t blog.  I think I would get bored after awhile.

Here’s my blogging challenge:  Let’s everyone stop blogging completely for two weeks—no posting, no scheduling posts, no commenting or reading others blogs.  If everyone stopped at the same time, we wouldn’t be missing anything.  I think it is a great idea!  Everyone may come back refreshed with lots of ideas and anxious to do it some more.  On the other hand, we may find that we really don’t miss it and could get on with other things in our life.  Now, which two weeks should the blogosphere take a vacation?  I’m thinking maybe November.  We have to plan it far enough ahead to get the word out.  Who’s with me on this?  Leave your suggestions in the comments.  What do you think?

This post is in response to Day 5 of SITS Back2Blogging  and Mama Kat's Writer’s Workshop prompt:  Why do you blog? What purpose does it serve you and how have you benefited from sharing a piece of yourself online this way?  Here are links to my other posts I wrote for this challenge--Whew!



Day 1--The First Blog Post I Ever Wrote
Day 2--Lenore, The Love of His Life
Day 3--A Title I Am Proud Of:  Why Wash Your Car
Day 4--Inspired By Marva Collins


Over at SITS there is a giveaway going on in connection with "Back To Blogging." The giveaway is a washer and dryer from sponsors, Standards of Excellence, Westar Kitchen and Bath, and Florida Builder Appliances.

This is part of Saturday Samplings at Half Past Kissin' Time.

9 comments:

  1. I would miss it too much! I don't think I could take a two week break!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can never imagine to talk a break for such a long time. Blogging is in my blood now :)

    http://dwivedi2326.blogspot.com/2010/09/why-do-i-blog.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. 2 weeks?! Faint! I have been MIA from blogging for that long, but it was due to illness or something. Great post though! It sure gets folks to thinking.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't think I could take 2 weeks from blogging. I mean when I go on vacation that is long enough!! LOL!

    Have a wonderful day:)

    Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Doing the good karma thing by reading the 3 blogs above, because there are just so many good blogs out there! I don't think I could stop. Blogging is like a habit, kind of like church. If you stop writing or going, it is real easy to not pick it up again! Just my 2 cents!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I took two weeks off of blogging this summer. Yes, okay, I had guest posters and a couple of pre-scheduled posts, but I personally didn't go near my blog for 15 days. It was a nice break, but I really did miss it. I'm in this blogging thing for the long haul.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hiya. I found you on Saturday Sampling. I did this workshop too, same prompt. Yours was very good, I must say!

    ReplyDelete
  8. A SS visit - I know of many bloggers who just decide to quit. I'm sure real life throws up an obstacle in most cases.
    I don't understand the reasoning behind a big organized all stop together event. Sure that approach offers the chance of some support but how would you know you were getting the support? I guess your blog reader wouldn't show any new postings.
    Nothing wrong with taking a vacation from it. You should never let it add stress it should be relaxing and fun.

    I don't know if you know of Lilly's Life (lillyslife.com) but she created a great blog and quit for about 3 months. She's back but at a much slower pace.

    I have felt the addictive nature of it and I know I can go days without it. But it's still lots of fun for me.
    Good thought provoking post.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I blog every day and I post a Photo of the Day (POTD) each day. I have taken a break from the POTD, but not from my regular posting. When I go on vacation I try my best to get a post in every day. I feel lost without it.

    November would not be a good month to do a two week break. Tons of people participate in National Blog Posting Month (NaBlPoMo) which is a challenge to write one blog post a day for a month and the official month for that is November.

    It's an interesting idea though, but I'd end up catching up with the blogs that I've missed, so I'd still be on the computer.

    Kristin _ The Goat
    via Saturday Samplings

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails