Friday, April 8, 2016

"Future Shock" by Elizabeth Briggs--WOW!

Future Shock by Elizabeth Briggs is a gripping science fiction murder mystery involving five teens, Adam, Elena, Chris, Trent and Zoe, who are transported 10 years into the future. All but Adam is in foster care. Aethon Corporation offers them a large amount of money to sign up for the mission to report back on the technology they find. Instead, things do not happen according to the plan and the teens find themselves 30 years into the future and make a scary discovery that motivates them to figure a way to change the path they are on.

This book is really good with lots of adventure, relationships and things to make you think. I was confused a bit about some things, but overall I enjoyed it very much. I especially liked Elena who tells the story from her view. It was very cool she had such a great memory and a desire to help others. I liked the message of this book that the future is based on our current choices and that it is worth living. It’s definitely a page turner and I was eager to see how it would end. (For some discussion questions for those who have read this, please see the spoiler alert after Gerard's review below.)
(Karen's review, 4 stars)

Gerard's review:
Future Shock by Elizabeth Briggs is about five young teens who are down on their luck.  They all need money for different reasons so when a company offers them money that they think will solve all their problems, they jump at the chance.  But once they get into their mission, they find out the one thing they were not to do, they might have to or else!

WOW!  This is so good!  If you like action, this book is packed with it!  I really enjoyed the lead character, but also the others.  It kept me turning pages quickly because I was eager to see how it would all play out.  I kept saying "this is really good" over and over as I read it.  LOVED IT!  Give this book involving time travel a read; you will be glad you did!
(Gerard's review 4/8/16, 5++ stars)

Spoiler Alert: If you haven’t read this yet, stop reading here, but if you have read it, I’d like to know your thoughts on these things:


(1) Which future technology did you like best? I liked the cars that could drive themselves.

(2) Could anyone explain to me how the reports fit into Elena’s pocket?

(3) I assume Elena dropped Zoe’s drawings just before getting in to go back, but don’t understand why they felt they couldn’t report anything they saw.

(4) Anyone else confused at the end were Adam and Elena say they’ll be ready 30 years to meet their younger selves and to help Zoe and Trent? I didn’t get that because the present was done. I get that the future didn’t yet really happen, but the present did. It wasn’t like they would be going again.

(5) Do you think you would like to know your future? I’m not sure if I would want to or not.

Have you read this one? What did you think of it? If you reviewed this too, feel free to share your link to your review in the comments. To find books on a specific topic, scroll to the bottom and click on the topic you want. Happy Reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails