Friday, March 6, 2015

We Both Liked "American Sniper" by Chris Kyle is a Must Read



American Sniper is Chris Kyle’s story of his life, the American SEAL sniper credited with the most kills in the Iraq war. The book starts with a little from his childhood and how he was a cowboy, then goes into depth about his Navy and SEAL training. It covers his experiences in Iraq during the war over his four deployments and touches on his personal life as a husband and father. He was a great warrior and was completely dedicated to serving his country by killing the bad guys. It shows the struggles between he and his wife due to their different priorities.

I liked the book because I learned some new things; however, can’t help but think both he and his wife would have been better off not getting married. Chris was definitely “married” to the Navy and being a sniper. Time after time, he put his career ahead of her and his children. I enjoyed reading about the training he went through and the combat situations he experienced, but when he went into detail about the different weapons, I got bored with that. I did learn though that choosing the right weapon is kind of like choosing a golf club—there are a lot of options. I also was shocked at how much hazing goes on when new guys are assigned to a SEAL team.

I guess what bothered me most was that he proclaimed to be a strong Christian, yet seemed to be very self-centered when it came to his marriage, his language was rough, he got into a lot of bar brawls and drank a lot—all things strong Christians would not do. If you want a glimpse of what really goes on in the Iraq war and the sacrifices made by soldiers and their families, this is a must read.
(Karen's review, 4 stars)

American Sniper is the true story of Chris, a sniper, and the best one in the service.  I have read a few books on the war and this one ranks right up there with the best, if not the best that I have read!  His account is absolutely riveting.  I was able to experience through his telling what is going on and what he went through.  WOW!  I LOVED this book!  Chris was an American hero for sure!  This is a must read and if you have a chance to see the movie, do it!
(Gerard's review, 5++ stars)  

Have you read this one? What did you think of it? If you reviewed this too, feel free to share your link to your review in the comments. Happy Reading!

2 comments:

  1. I don't read a lot of war books, but this one sounds fascinating. I've heard a lot of great things about it. I'll have to reserve it at the library. Thanks for your review!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails