Monday, October 17, 2016

"Truly Madly Guilty" by Liane Moriarty is One We Did Not See Eye to Eye On (updated)

I read Truly Madly Guilty by Liane Moriarty on my husband's recommendation and because he laughed out loud as he read through it.  Unfortunately, I did not find it all that funny and plowed through it.  (To be fair though, I just got done reading A Torch in the Night by Sabaa Tahir which was one I could hardly put down which had lots of adventure, action and interesting characters.)  Compared to that, this one really fell flat.

The tiny bit of action in it was alluded to all through the book in an attempt to build up some mystery, but moved along much too slow for my taste.  It is primarily about three couples and their marriages.  I really hated that the chapters went back and forth between the day of the big incident and the present and the past.  I just wanted to know what happened already and found the writing annoying.  Of the characters, I found the girl Dakota interesting and liked Tiffany and Sam best of the adults.  I also thought Harry, the grumpy neighbor was an interesting character but he wasn't in it much.  I loved Big Little Lies by this author so expected to like this book as well, but I didn't. 
(Karen's review, 2 stars)


Truly Madly Guilty by Liane Moriarty is about three couples and their children who gather together for a backyard barbecue.  What could possibly go wrong?  First of all, this is an adult novel.  I read a lot of YA and fantasy novels so this was a change for me which I thought was fantastic but find I am in the minority compared to other reviewers on Amazon.

I enjoyed all the characters and laughed out loud through it!  The dialogue among the characters made this a very enjoyable read.  This is the third book I have read by this author and I loved them all!  You cannot zoom through this book, because if you miss one thing, you miss a lot of the story!  LOVED IT!
(Gerard's review 10-9-16, 5++ stars)

Have you read this one? What did you think of it? If you reviewed this too, feel free to share your link to your review in the comments. To find books on a specific topic, scroll to the bottom and click on the topic you want. Happy Reading!

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you, Karen, at least as far as finding this one disappointing, especially compared to Moriarty's other books. I didn't mind the back-and-forth because it gave the book some tension and suspense. I wasn't wild about the characters or the plot, though. Moriarty's books are usually so much better than this one.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails