Saturday, August 17, 2019

"The String" by Caleb Breakey

The String by Caleb Breakey is about a very creepy, mean guy who calls himself  "The Conductor" who creates a string of people he controls to do bad things through manipulation and threats.  I almost gave up right at the start when he abused a dog, but kept reading and he didn't do it anymore after that.  People do not have any choice if they are chosen to be on his "string" although Haas, one of the Trenton University cops is determined to break the string.  Can he do it?

I was eager to see how this dark thriller would end but did not like the ending.  It has quite a bit of action, suspense and mystery.  It is written so the reader does not find out who the conductor is until almost the very end!  In some ways this reminded me of The Chain.  I thought The String was even creepier, a bit too much for my taste.
(Karen's review, 4 stars)

Gerard's review:
The String is about a man who gets people to do things they would not normally do because he has something on them that makes them have to do it or their loved one will have something bad happen to them.  He calls himself "the Conductor."  I could never really get into this book.  I never had the moment that would get me caught up in it!  The premise was good enough, but I  do not think the writer brought out as much as he could have and I did not like the ending.  (3 stars)

Teaser from page 23:  "You catch on fast, you officer, SWAT team, professional, you.  One moment you're ready to unwind and let all that stress melt away.  Then the next you're making a deal with the devil, yes?  That is the power of the will." 

Have you read this one? What did you think of it? If you reviewed this too, feel free to share your link to your review in the comments. To find books on a specific topic, scroll to the bottom and click on the topic you want. Happy Reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails