Sunday, January 8, 2012

"Crooked Letter, Crooked Letter" by Tom Franklin


Crooked Letter, Crooked Letter by Tom Franklin is a very interesting book that is a mystery about two missing girls and Larry Ott, the suspected murderer. Through flashbacks, the interesting story of “Scary Larry,” the white boy, and Silas, his black friend, growing up in Mississippi is told. This story is a mixture of a tale of friendship and a mystery. Did Larry really kill the girls and who shot Larry? Will Larry and Silas remain friends? Which boy had the better life? These are questions that arise.

Here’s a quote I particularly liked:

“What’s missing out of you, Silas?

Courage, he thought.

No wonder he felt at ease among these chickens.”
The title comes from how southern children are taught to spell Mississippi:  M, I, crooked letter, crooked letter, I, crooked letter, crooked letter, I, humpback, humpback, I.

I liked this book because the characters were interesting and the story telling was well done. It has a unique plot, not only the mystery of who killed the girls but also family secrets. I would have given this book 5 stars except for the profanity.

(Karen's review:  My rating: 4 of 5 stars)

Have you read this one? What did you think of it? If you reviewed this too, feel free to share your link to your review in the comments. Happy Reading!

We are donating 50 cents to KIVA this month to help the poor change their lives for each legitimate comment we receive on all our blogs.

3 comments:

  1. This one does sound interesting, I'll add it to my wishlist.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is so much going on with the fully-developed characters in this story, but not too much that you can't keep it straight. The book is so well written, as the past of the characters is brilliantly interwoven with their current lives. The ending is perfect. I'm already searching Mr. Franklin's other books!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought the mystery was just as much about the relationship between Silas and Larry as it was about the dead girls. I found their relationship and how it played out very compelling. Thanks for sharing the link to your review.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails