Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Interview With New Author: Toye Brown, author of "Obsessive Obsession"

1.  Why did you write Obsessive Obsession? 
I wrote this book based on a short story I did back in high school.  I had to update it to meet with current events and technology of course.  My characters were already formulated and just waiting to be put to a story board.
2.  What advice would you give to someone who is thinking about writing their first book? 
I would recommend that they first have a plan.  Write about what you know.  Don't try to venture into areas you aren't familiar with.  If you spend all your time researching the unknown you will become frustrated and the joy of writing will become a hassle and you most likely won't finish your project.  Two, never be rushed; take your time and think it out.  If a story doesn't make sense to you it definitely won't make sense to your readers.  Three, use a good editing service.  When you edit yourself, you become immune to certain aspects.  You have read the story so much that you skip or overlook simple mistakes.  If you employ family or friends to help you edit, you might still want to have a person that is not connected with you or your storyline to read the whole manuscript to highlight or make suggestions before you submit it.  As a first time author, you will make mistakes.  Unless you are an English major or actually did editing in one form or another, there will be mistakes.  Some of the best authors in the business had errors in their books and if you self-publish there is a greater chance of those errors happening.  Editing is very time consuming and expensive so check pricing and find a person that is as dedicated to your work as you are. 
3.  Do you have a favorite character in your book?  If so, who and why? 
I tried to make all my characters equal but if I had to choose I would say Nayla.  Nayla proved to be the heroine because she was strong and not one to be pushed around while sticking to her values. 
4.  I thought it was funny you used the name Bea Taylor for the one cop.  Did you know Bea Taylor is the name of the nice grandmother on "The Andy Griffith" show? 
    
Yes, I knew that was her name but I wasn't thinking of that show when I put my characters together. 
5.  How long did it take you to write your book? 
  
It took about a year.  I did it in sections so I could place certain character scenes where I wanted them.  Working from the back forward helped me to develop my story line also.   I had to do some researching so working in sections was best for me.  I kept all four sisters on different story boards so I wouldn't confuse them or the direction I was going with them.
6.  What are story boards?
I made up boards and I would write what I wanted each character to do and how.  They were sisters but needed their own identity.  By making up a story board I could write for one character at a time and not have them lapse into the next character. Take Belle for example, she was the giving and nurturing sister, so she wouldn't have the same traits as Tina or Nayla. I kept her separate and wrote only for her on her board.
7.  Now that you have written a book, is there anything you would like to change or do differently next time? 
There is a lot I would do differently.  I will not be rushed into making decisions and definitely use an editing service.  I had other people reading for me but they got caught up in the story and missed the same mistakes I did it seems.  I plan to do a reprint of this book maybe next year and release it on Kindle.
8.  Do you plan on writing any more books? 
My next book is in the works titled "Nayla's Dilemma" and it picks up where this book left off.  I hope to finish a trilogy before branching off into other mystery novels.
 Stop by Toye's blog to learn more about her at Welcome to My Fictional World.

2 comments:

  1. "Unless you are an English major or actually did editing in one form or another," As someone who has a degree in English writing from the largest University in the country I don't agree with that.
    I would change it to, "Even if you have a degree in English and actually did editing in one form or another, there will be some forms of mistakes."
    Even a degree and experience won't keep you not spotting your own mistakes.
    Trust me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you are right, Project Savior. It is easy to miss things no matter how educated one is when it comes to proofreading one's own writing.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails