Thursday, August 12, 2010

"Cat People" by Michael and Margaret Korda

Cat People by Michael and Margaret Korda is a ho-hum book about 18 cats this couple knew over the years.  Initially, Margaret was the cat lover and Michael just tolerated them in the house, objecting as each new one came in until he became attached to Mumsie, a all white mother cat and her two kittens.  I think any cat lover would enjoy the drawings and meeting the cats because it describes all the different personalities.  It gives a good picture of what cat ownership is like and I agree that you really don’t know what you’ll get when you bring stray cats into your home.   I felt like I got to know these cats and it's hard to pick a favorite. 


I felt very sad that Ms. Bumble, the attack cat, didn’t work out and ached along with Margaret and Michael when Mumsie got hit by a truck.  I thought it was meant they put Ms. Bumble down just because she bit the wife unexpectedly.  I also thought it very odd that they didn't keep the cat who had feline Aids separated from the others.  I found the cat map of the bedroom hilarious showing the different territories the cats claimed.  The bottom line is that “cats are very entertaining and make you laugh, but eventually will make you cry as well--it's part of the deal.”  (paraphrased) 


The way they brought in strays reminded me of my dad and his cats that I wrote about in “My Funny Dad, Harry.”  All the strays used to go to his house too.  I liked other cat books better such as Hiss and Tell which shows people willing to learn how to change bad cat behavior, Homer's OdysseyThe Ultimate Cat Lover that is well-written full of cool cat stories owned by different people and full of advice for cat owners.   about a blind cat that was well loved and amazing,


Take a look at this video about a no-kill sanctuary to see some real cat people who used their retirement fund to buy a whole house to use as a homey atmosphere for unwanted cats:


Please tell us: What categories of literature do you like? What are you reading now? Who are your top five favorite authors? Have you read this one? What did you think of it?

1 comment:

  1. Thankfulness to my father who shared with me regarding
    this web site, this webpage is truly awesome.


    Have a look at my blog; Abercrombie Pas Cher

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails