Wednesday, August 18, 2010

"The Sherrif's Surrender" by Susan Page Davis

A Western with Ladies as the Heroins

The Sheriff's Surrender is a western about an old mining town whose sheriff is killed and replaced by one of the ranchers.  A serial killer continues to strike and the women decide to learn to shoot from Gert, an expert shooter and form a Ladies’ Shooting Club which helps out the sheriff.  I enjoyed this book even though it seemed far-fetched.  It was an entertaining read with a bit of romance and Christianity tossed in. 


I liked the subplot of how the women became closer and helped each other as they got to know one another better through the shooting club.  It has a good theme--that friends are good to have and we should get to know all kinds of people.

Please tell us: What categories of literature do you like? What are you reading now? Who are your top five favorite authors? Have you read this one? What did you think of it?

2 comments:

  1. Karen and Gerard, thanks for featuring my book. This was a fascinating time period to write about. Your readers will find a puzzle inside the book that they can solve to enter a contest from Summerside Press for more books. Blessings,
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't heard of this book, but it sounds like an interesting one. I don't normally like books written in other periods, but I've learned that sometimes they still appeal to me so I don't judge them by their... uh... timetable! LOL...

    I mostly like murder mysteries, but I also like thrillers and science fiction. I'm not really into traditional "chick lit," but I like most of the ones written by black authors if they're substantial.

    Right now I'm reading mostly non-fiction (8 steps to a pain-free back) and I just finished the memoir Silent Tears.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails