Thursday, July 8, 2010

"The Hunger Games" by Suzanne Collins

I loved The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins.  I finished it in just two days it was so hard to put down.  Even when I wasn’t reading it, I still was thinking about it.  This is the first book in the series and I am hooked!  It takes place in a fictional country called Panem that the Capitol controls which is divided into districts based on industry.  Just to make sure everyone realizes the Capitol is in control, they run annual Hunger Games where they force two teens from each district to enter a competition to fight to the death in a place that the game makers pick on live TV. 

Katniss is the main character, a 16-yr-old girl who is a good hunter and who volunteers to take your younger sister’s place.  The boy from her district that is also chosen has a long-time crush on her but she does not realize it until he mentions it in his interview.  Katniss struggles with not only surviving the game, but also with friendships and her feelings for Peeta, her admirer and her friend Gale, the boy she hunted with before having to leave for the hunger games. 

There is humor in the book as well because Peeta and Katniss both have a rebellious attitude toward the Capitol and try not to let the game change them.  I especially liked when they went through their training for the show and Katniss outscored everyone by impressing the gamemakers with her talent and spunk.  


This book is awesome!  This is a must read if you like psychological thrillers and adventure.  This is one of my all-time favorite books and I look forward to reading the rest of series!  If you like the TV show, Survivor, you will love The Hunger Games since there are some similarities.
(Karen's review)

Are you kidding me?  one of the best books I ever read was Pack of Two but this book is it's equal!  What an awesome book!  The Hunger Games is about a young teen girl who takes the place of her younger sister in the fight to the death annual TV show.  I could not put this book down and I hear the second book in this series, Catching Fire is even better!  Wow!  I can't wait to read it too! (100 stars)
 (Gerard's review)




Reviews by Other Blogers:
For What It's Worth: The Hunger Games and Catching Fire
Bloggin' 'bout Books: The Hunger Games Will Eat You Up and Spit You Out Only After Taking You On An Edge-Of-Your-Seat Thrill Ride

Please tell us: What categories of literature do you like? What are you reading now? Who are your top five favorite authors? Have you read this one? What did you think of it?

5 comments:

  1. I just put a hold on this book at our library. Sadly, I'm number 155. This looks like a really good book and I'm looking forward to reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for sharing my giveaway with your readers!! I can't wait to dive into this book, I don't take on too many book reviews but this one certainly had me interested! Have a happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! I have heard so much about this book I was 50/50 about wanting to get it to read... Now I have read your review I am definately going to go on a hunt for it! Thanks for the great review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've seen so much written about this series (but have mostly avoided reading it) but still haven't picked up the books. Still not sure it is for me even with everyone raving about it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now I have to go check out "Pack of Two" if Gerard is ranking it at the same level as this book!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails