Friday, July 16, 2010

"Velveteen Rabbit" by Margery Williams

I read this because I came across a blog that posted this was her first favorite book and she still enjoys reading it over and over so I wanted to read it to see why.  Velveteen Rabbit by Margery Williams is a cute classic children’s book about toys becoming real when they are well loved and cared for.  I liked the idea of a nursery fairy and how when a stuffed animal is worn out, that's when it becomes real.  

I recommend this book to any parent who thinks it’s time to throw out a worn out stuffed animal that their child is not ready to part with.  This should help.  Me being a stuffed animal collector, I really liked this story!
(Karen's review 4/18/10)

Comment moved from our other blog:
My daughter loved this book when she was small. I would read it to her, and then when she could read, she would read it to me. When my sons were small, the oldest had a black and white teddy bear that actually was tread bare. Our boys were 5 years apart so the oldest never played with it anymore, but the little one took it over and loved it. Well, when cleaning out things (we could burn things in a burn barrel where we lived), I threw that bear in thinking it was old, raggedy and worn out. Well, you would have thought I had killed my baby boy's best friend. He screamed and cried, but it was too late to retrieve it from the fire. I felt so bad for quite a while over that. The baby girl that came along 13 years after this incident is the one that loved The Velveteen Rabbit...too bad I hadn't read it when my boys were babies. Thanks for the reminder of a great book for little ones.
By peabea on April 18, 2010


Please tell us: What categories of literature do you like? What are you reading now? Who are your top five favorite authors? Have you read this one? What did you think of it?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails