Tuesday, July 27, 2010

"The Weight of Silence" by Heather Gudenkauf


The Weight of Silence by Heather Gudenkauf is a page-turner that grabbed my attention right from the start.  A young girl is abducted and her friend, Calli is also missing.   Calli is seven but hasn't spoken since she was four. I liked this book because it wasn't predictable and deals with a lot of different issues such as family dynamics, alcoholism, old flames, police investigation, selective mutism and friendship.  It is a fast read and contains discussion questions at the end.  I recommend this book if you like contemporary fiction about families.
Karen's review posted 2/11/10

The Weight Of Silence by Heather Gudenkauf is a real page turner!  I suggest not reading the Prologue first.  I never do until I finish reading the book.  Wow!  This book was just awesome.  It reads just like a Jodi Picoult book, which is not a bad thing at all.  The book got my attention right away and kept it all the way to the end.  All the characters are very good.  I especially enjoyed their stories of early times in their lives.  I do not think you will be able to guess the outcome.  I didn’t.  Enjoy this book--it is REALLY, REALLY GOOD!
(Gerard's Review 1/30/10)

comments received moved from our other blog:
I Just started a book blog and I am discouraged. Then I found you guys and I realized that you seem to read the same type of books that I do. I just finished The Weight Of Silence, Have also read The Art of Racing in the Rain and Columbine, The Book Thief and My Sisters Keeper. I am on my library's wait list for Going Rogue. However, your kitties choice of Where the Wild Things Are is my favorite. I's like to ask you a favor, just because I am starting out and your tastes run similar to mine. If you have time would you just drop by my site and give me a critique or two. Since there are so many holidays in February I was going with a theme and a giveaway almost everyday. I am discouraged as I am not having much luck. Mainly just friends and family. I would really appreciate your advice. Thank you very much! Lesa  skyroxy@bellsouth.net
By Lesa on February 15, 2010

Please tell us: What categories of literature do you like? What are you reading now? Who are your top five favorite authors? Have you read this one? What did you think of it?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails